Nostradamus Ate My Hamster

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Think about it...

So I finished the 6th Harry Potter book last night. And although it's purely fiction and fantasy, it sparked a fascinating conversation among my friends who also read it. I've been so lucky in my life to have a family, a roof over my head, food on my table, the ability to open up and love and really great people surrounding me. There are so many people who endure so many life altering, if not life endangering, experiences, that they will never have a "normal" life. Of course "normal" is different for everyone. I've never had anything happen to me that would jeopordize how I look at life, or people, or committment. Then there are those who have seen and felt things that nobody will ever understand. How do these people have relationships? I'm sure some can push pass and get on with their lives, but I keep thinking, what if I had something horrible happen to me that nobody would ever have any idea about? Would I be able to get over it and move on or would I dwell on it b/c I was too scared? Does any of this really make sense? I'm sure that's a bit extreme, but just something floating in my head.

**subject change**

So I'm friends with this single guy who has a little girl and he made a comment about her the other day that seriously brought me to tears. He was saying how he loved spending time with her and that she was the most beautiful person he's ever layed eyes on (I'm just summarizing). Then we started talking about being a single parent and how amazing some of these people are. How do these wonderful, brilliant people find a healthy relationship with someone who doesn't have kids and doesn't fully understand what it's like to be a parent? I don't have a clue as to what that feels like! I know that I will be a great mother one day, but I have no idea what it's like to love someone so much and to put them first above all else. I think this is what initially scared me as a single girl with no kids dating people with kids...and as I get older, I meet a lot more guys with kids now! I was afraid that I would be second best, always in competition with their child. That is so selfish of me. I wanted to be the #1 priority in my husband's life. Then I have my mother. She was a single mom at 21. What if my dad hadn't given her a chance? What if he hadn't loved me and accepted that I was part of the package? Where would I be now? Where would my mom be? I just had this preconceived notion that I wouldn't have anything in common with a single parent. It's hard enough finding common ground with friends and family who are parents. At least now I've opened my eyes and my mind a bit more to accept people and their lives although they may not be just like me - and someday I may be a wonderful stepmother...so thanks J!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home